Sunday, April 15, 2012

Classic Cake Recipe


I’ve been on the search for a great white cake recipe and everyone I try comes out dry, crumbly and not too flavorful.  Until now!  I tried this cake for Easter (made into a bunny by the children of course!) and the search is over, this is my winner!

Ingredients:
1 c. unsalted butter
1 3/4 c. sugar
4 large eggs
2 large egg yokes
1 Tbsp. pure vanilla extract
3 c. cake flour (spooned and leveled)
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. fine salt
1 1/2 c. buttermilk

Directions (I learned that it is very important to follow the directions exactly for the best results!  Things that I thought didn't matter - DO!)
1.  bring all cold ingredients to room temperature
2.  in a large mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar on high until light and fluffy (about 6 minutes)
3.  beat in 4 large eggs and 2 large egg yokes one at a time until combined.  Beat in vanilla.
4.  whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
5.  with mixer on low, add 1/3 of the flour mixture and combine.  Then add 3/4 c. buttermilk.  Then 1/3 flour mixture, then 3/4 c. buttermilk and finish with remaining flour mixture.  Mix until just combined.
Makes 2 9-inch round cakes, lightly grease pans, bake at 350 for about 30 minutes or until toothpick comes out with tiny crumbs on it (I tend to set the timer for less time and check it early)

No comments:

Post a Comment