Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Spinach Egga Ma Wegga
Simply eggs with spinach. When my daughters were transitioning to table food, I would whip up some eggs with chopped frozen spinach in them and they loved them. Now that I have another child transitioning into table food, the Spinach Egga Ma Weggas are back! I make them omlet style and cut them into squares for the kids to eat with their fingers (easier than picking up scrambled eggs). It's very easy when you don't feel like making dinner and no need to feel guilty because they're packed with nutrients!

Yaki Tacos
(Not Yucky Tacos!!)
I merinade chicken in Soy Vey Island Teriyaki, grill it, chop it up and make into tacos with shredded lettuce, cheddar cheese, a little sour cream and chopped pineapple. Might sound crazy, but try it, you'll love it!

Quesadilla Quesadilla
(that’s what we call them!)
With some chicken I cooked up last night, I put some beans, chopped chicken and grated cheese between 2 tortillas and toasted it in a skillet. Nice and crispy, I cut them into wedges with my pizza cutter. In the spirit of “Start How You Want to Finish” – I’ve always made my kids’ quesadillas with beans, from the first time I made them. They know no different and love the beans. Added protein always makes me feel good!

Sick Soup & Grilled Cheese
I love to make homemade soups, but when anyone gets a cold in our house, they ask for “sick soup.” The simple, just add water, noodle soup. (Mrs. Grass is my favorite!) Serve that with some grilled cheese and within moments the sick one feels better! PS – no one has to be sick to make this quick comforting meal!

Hot Pockets
A dish that my mom makes often for company that she calls, “Chicken with Broccoli in a Crescent Roll” – but I prefer Hot Pockets!
Cooked, cubed chicken (about 2-3 breasts), 1 can cream of chicken soup, ½ brick of cream cheese, some grated cheddar cheese (about ¾ cup), a small can of sliced black olives, and a head or so of cut up, steamed broccoli. Mix that up. On a cookie sheet lay out the crescent roll dough, pinching the holes closed (now they have dough sheets you can buy and they’re much easier). Lay your filling down on top, and with another can of dough, make a layer on top. Pinch the sides together to form a huge hot pocket! Bake at the temp on the can until the crust is golden brown and everything inside is hot (about 25 min).

My Moma’s Blackbottom Cupcakes
Beat together:
1 8oz. package of cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 c. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
Stir in 6oz. chocolate chips

In a separate bowl mix:
1 ½ c. flour
1 c. sugar
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ c. cocoa
Add: 1 c water
1 tsp. vinegar
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. vanilla
Beat well

Fill a lined cupcake pan 1/3 with the chocolate batter, then the cream cheese batter on top. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Makes 21 cupcakes.
*Sometimes my mom would put some slivered almonds and sugar on top before baking and it made a wonderful crunchy crust on top!

Cheesecake Cupcakes
Another favorite recipe from my mom!
1 c. sugar
5 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
1 c. sour cream
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Cream sugar, eggs, cheese and vanilla. Place in baking cups and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes. Mix sour cream, sugar and vanilla. Put 1 teaspoon on top of each. Return 5 more minutes.
After they’ve cooled, we like to put 2-3 cherries on top from cherry pie filling. I especially love to make these for The 4th of July.

Lemon Bars
Crust:
2 c. flour
1 c. confectioner's sugar, plus more for dusting
pinch of salt
2 sticks butter, at room temperature
Filling:
4 eggs
2 c. granulated sugar
6 T. flour
6 T. fresh lemon juice

At 350 degrees, in a 9x13x2 pan lightly greased
combine crust ingredients until crumbly and pres into pan. Bake for 20 min. While baking, mix filling ingredients, pour over baked crust and return to oven for 25 min. (I watch this and perhaps cook a little less time). After cooled, sprinkly confectioners' sugar on top!

*I like to zest some lemon for the crust as well as the filling, it makes them extra “lemony”!!

1 comment: