Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Classic Meatloaf with Moma's Sticky Sauce

We are big lovers of the "loafy" around here!  I've posted another meatloaf recipe, The Kitchen Sink Loaf, but this recipe is a classic!
My recipe is adapted from  Everyday Food Magazine (my dinner lifeline!) I like to add chopped carrots and some herbs. Here is their recipe.
I served this with Poor Man's Mashed Potatoes (with the skin on) and steamed broccoli with parmesan.




(*) indicates things I have changed
3 slices white sandwich bread
1/3 cup whole milk
1 1/2 pounds ground beef chuck
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 medium onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced *I only use one
1 large egg
1/2 cup ketchup *I don't use any ketchup, but put my Moma's Sticky Sauce on top
*1 carrot finely grated
*1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning
*1 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Coarse salt and ground pepper

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Place bread in food processor; pulse until fine crumbs form. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in milk. Set aside, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2.Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine beef, pork, onion, garlic, egg, 1/4 cup ketchup, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add bread-milk
mixture, and mix very gently with a fork (do not overmix).
3.Place meat mixture on prepared baking sheet, and form into a loaf about 9 inches long and 4 to 5 inches wide.
4.Bake, brushing twice with remaining 1/4 cup ketchup during baking, until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees, 45 to 55 minutes. Let meatloaf rest 10 minutes before slicing and serving.

*Instead of their ketchup steps, I bake the meatloaf for about 35 minutes, pull it out, and over it with my Moma's Sticky Sauce and return it to the oven for another 10-15 minutes.
Moma's Sticky Sauce:
1/2 c. loose brown sugar (not packed)
just shy of 1 Tbsp. worcesteshire sauce
1 1/2 tsp. mustard
3 Tbsp. ketchup
small splash of vinegar
mix with a fork and pour over meatloaf

No comments:

Post a Comment